During the school year of 1926-27, three students at the University of California, Los Angeles met during lunch for prayer and fellowship. E. Harlan Fischer, Frank Young, and James Carter looked forward to the establishment of a Christian Club on campus, and so Fischer sent letters out to 35 students over the Christmas break. A dinner meeting was held for these young men at the Green Dragon Cafe on January 7, 1927, and 16 gathered there to discuss their possibilities.
Those present at the cafe felt that a fraternity, founded on Christian ideals and fellowship, would be more reputable than a Christian Club, so E. Harlan Fischer appointed a committee to draw up a Constitution. This Constitution was submitted and accepted at the first official meeting of the Fraternity on February 15, 1927, and 12 men signed as charter members.